Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Today Tonight: Burqa Rage (27 June 2011)

Last night, on Channel 7’s Today Tonight, a slightly provocatively titled story called Burqa Rage was broadcast. The video can still be seen here. I was informed of this broadcast via an email from Amra Pajalic. Before going further, I should say that I have met Amra Pajalic before and have very favourable views of her novel The Good Daughter, but these factors have no bearing on my opinion of Burqa Rage.

Three non-Muslim women in burqas

The premise of the story was to examine non-Muslim Australians’ reactions to Muslim women wearing the burqa. The focus was three non-Muslim women having the experience of wearing the burqa for a day. Although the story was only six minutes long, some light was shed. The women went to various public places such as a shopping strip, a bank, and driving a car. The response was sometimes vocal and hostile, although in the bank, neither security nor the bank staff treated the women in a noticeably different manner, which they found surprising, given that motorcycle helmets, for example, are banned in bank branches.

It is hard to infer too much in a short story like this. However, the impression I got from those who were vocal in their abuse, wasn’t so much blatant racism, but more the fear of difference. Dare I say it, while I would like to think that I wouldn’t descend to open hostility in an equivalent situation, I have to admit that I have some fears about difference too. Of course, for all I know Today Tonight may have only chosen the most atypical and hostile reactions to the burqa, and perhaps most of the time the three women were treated like anyone else. On the other hand, the three women did say they were distressed by some of the reactions. One even said that she was ashamed that people could be so intolerant, even racist. In turn they hope they will be more respectful of difference in future.


The story ended with a short studio interview conducted with some of the co-authors of the book What a Muslim Woman Looks Like. The book aims to break down stereotypes of what a Muslim woman looks like, through presenting a diverse series of profiles. In the studio interview, they advocated that people need to be less judgemental and see beyond the burqa, and that it is used as an expression of belief and spirituality.

Having long since switched off from the sensationalist style of tabloid TV current affairs, I was quite impressed at the reasonable even-handedness of the story. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about this. We were really happy with the story. We heard from our contact who arranged the interview that they were going to go the sensationalist angle but after seeing our footage they changed tack and sought advice about how to produce the story. We were so happy to hear that because qw were incredibly nervous about engaging with the mainstream media and this renewed our faith in people and reporters.

Sheryl Gwyther said...

Good for you, little stranger! I'm so sick of intolerant people in this country, your post was a breath of fresh air.
PS Do you want to swap blog links?

little_stranger said...

Amra - Thanks for my first comment on this blog. Now finally this blog has "someone to write with" and is starting to live up to its name! Good to hear the insight on how Today Tonight changed the angle of the story. It shows that some hearts and minds can be changed if an effort is made. Chalk up a victory for the good fight.

Sheryl - I appreciate your comment - my first one from someone I don't know. I will look to swap blog links when I get home today.

Sue Bursztynski said...

I work with kids of all descriptions. No burqas, though we have plenty of girls with headscarves and long gowns. It doesn't bother me one way or another, but as a Jew, I know how they feel - Orthodox Jews get the same reaction, the stares, the racism, the abuse, and there are plenty of other "different" people who are alsotreated like dirt.

little_stranger said...

Thanks for your sharing your insight, Sue. In a far lesser way when I was a child, I got some of that too (when Australia was more fearful of Asians). As you say, I think it is ignorance and the fear of difference that underlies most of these situations.